Wednesday 26 June 2013

Mirror, mirror on the wall....

I'd say we're nearly ready for a full Modern Country Dining Room reveal, don't you, sweetiepips? But before I go the full hog and bare all, I wanted to urge you, if you have a rather gloomy, North-facing space, like our dining room, to take the plunge and hang a massively, enormously, humungously large mirror.


You'll be a-maaaaazed at the magic that mirrors can spin out of their shimmery, shiny surfaces. 


It took me aaaages to find one I liked. We were somewhat limited by dimensions as I wanted the mirror to fill the blank space above our brand, spanking new, much-needed (check out the UG.LEE fella above) radiator cover. Lots of pretty but small mirrors around, I now know!! I looked all over for the perfect specimen and finally,finally, finally found one I loved.


It's a large (woohoo!) bevelled mirror with a wooden surround in burnt silver, and has the pretty bonus of gorgeous detailing carved into the wooden surround.


And, while it may sound super-poncy, burnt silver is a terrific colour - it manages to be warm and cool at the same time.

It was a nightmare to hang as it's so heavy. Our very handy handyman attached brackets onto the back, gouged into our walls (our poor, lovely walls getting a battering again) attached the brackets and carefully plastered over again.


Despite my very vague hand movements specifying that I wanted the mirror hung portrait-wise, it got hung landscape at first. I thought about keeping it that way, as it looked more than passable but decided to be a total fusspot and asked him to rehang it (poor man, poor walls!!).


So, was all the pain worth it?

Yes, oh yes, yessity-yes. Look at all that lovely sparkle bouncing around the room! It brings the whole space alive, injects lots of natural light, and looks gorgeous too, as well as filling a very blank wall! A multi-functional piece, if ever there was one, my friends.

Do you need a mahoosive mirror in your life?
Have I persuaded you?

{And if you loved this, don't forget to follow along for the full reveal this Friday!)

Love,
Sarahxxx



Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





10 comments :

Shelly Wildman said...

Sarah! I absolutely LOVE that mirror!! Can't wait for Friday's post--it's looking gorgeous, gorgeous!! :)

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

I second that.I love mirrors.


Lisa x

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I used a mirror in my living-room for the same purpose. It's not as huge as yours, but it's big enough for me to struggle when I need to move it because of the renovation going on.

Seaweed and Raine said...

I do, I do, oh yes I DO need a mirror in my living space - a BIG one. I just need to convince the other adult in the house. He says no more big things till we have moved to a new house. Sigh.
Hope you are doing well and enjoying summer. I think I'm about done with my blog hiatus - so perhaps I'll catch what you are doing more now ;)
Sheree x0x

Lydia said...

Lovely!

LOVE mirrors and what they can do for interior space. Now if we can just get them to be a tad less honest when we put on a few pounds or years):-

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

My family teases me all the time with my mirror obsession. Not another mirror, they seem to scream, very often :) but I love the way they attract light and make my home so sparkly. Yours looks very pretty.

Jenna said...

Absolutely gorgeous mirror! Love it! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, love mirrors and you're right, the silver is great, really classy and adds such warmth. I have a large mirror in my lounge, we had a huge blank wall and it needed something big, the wall is opposite windows and now our lounge looks great, the mirror is such a feature and has really opened up the room and adds such amazing light.

Brandi said...

I'm excited for the full reveal. Can't wait to see more!

Cindy said...

That is a gorgeous mirror!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10