Wednesday 21 August 2013

Our Gorgeous Hexagonal Marble Mosaic Floor

I'll be honest: when we were first planning the shower room, I had concerns about how I was going to persuade Mr Modern Country to agree to the installation of the floor of my dreams. 


As I was saying in my last post, my grandmother had hexagonal mosaic floor tiles in her bathroom, and I've always longed for some of my own. In keeping with the luxurious hotel-spa feel that I wanted for this room, the marble option was whispering my name.


However, 'quality marble' and 'very cheap indeed' aren't phrases you hear together very often. In fact, despite their enormous popularity in the US, small marble hexagonal tiles are pretty tricky to track down in the UK. Believe me, I searched high and low and then some!


And here, my friends, is where I struck gold! The other retailer I tracked down with a similar product sold them at over £18 per sheet!
Our Blanco Hexagon tiles from Walls and Floors were a total snip at £6.45 per 29cm x 28.5 sheet.

Kerchiiiinnnnnng!


I am besotted with these marble lovelies. They bring character to this new area of our house in absolute spades. From the moment they arrived, I couldn't stop staring at their deliciously varied surface. 
I chose a matt white colour but each individual tile has a slight shift in tone.


And I'll let you into a secret, this makes having a very pale floor a dream to keep looking sparkling. {I can hear you breathing a collective sigh of relief!}

They bring so much light in to the room. The brightness and the very slight variation in level of the small tiles bounces the light around at almost miraculous levels. 


I'm often asked how to source good quality products at great prices, so I'm putting together a checklist for you....coming up soon!

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





23 comments :

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Ooh... I love your floor! I wanted to use marble hex in my master bath, but I was worried about keeping it clean. It looks so pretty in your room :)

ANNE said...

Gorgeous! and that door is beautiful too!

beachhutcook said...

We've just finished doing two of our bathrooms and I looked EVERYWHERE for cheap hex marble tiles but couldn't find anything lower than OH LORDY £ per square meter!

Anonymous said...

looks absolutely wonderful - you've done such a beautiful job on your room renovation!

Unknown said...

Love the tiles,,,those are on my favorite list as well! Maybe, maybe I can convince Darrell that they would be the perfect floor to go beneath the claw foot tub we scored at the Re Sale store. But that bathroom project is a little ways away, and the tub is in storage for the time being....but oh, I can dream about the floor!! Can't wait to see the finished room! Hurray up please!! :)

chris said...

Lucky duck! I wish I could have found marble tiles like this when we were getting tile for our home!

Kathleen said...

We just installed marble hexagon tile in both our bathrooms. Ours is a bit different in between each marble is a small black diamond shaped stone. This was very popular in the States back in the 20s and 30s. I wanted honed not shiny. I searched all over the place. Shiny was NOT the feel I wanted. After looking for a year I finally went to a big box store and just happened to think...what the heck I'll check here. I couldn't believe my eyes....They had exactly what I wanted and for a great price. They subcontracted the work out, I was kind of scared they wouldn't be the best at installing it. They did a beautiful job!!! You're right stick with it and eventually you will find what your looking for. Beautiful ,bathrooms by the way. So timeless. You'll love it forever.

Melanie said...

Hex tiles are on my list as well, and have been since we first bought our house 8 years ago...it will go beautifully with the original claw foot tub that I know is hidden under an ugly gray marbelized plastic (yes, PLASTIC!!!) tub surround. Ick. I can't wait till it's time to work on that bathroom...I just know it will be lovely. Eventually.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I am so happy for you ... you found just what you were looking for. It is sweet to have the connection to your childhood memory.

Fondly,
Glenda

Abby said...

Love this tile and the grout as well. Very lovely choice!

Unknown said...

It looks gorgeous!!!
Came via Shabby Nest and so glad I did - I'm your newest follower!
Hugs from Montreal,
Suzan

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cookie said...

What colour grout have you used? Is it a sort of creamy/beige or more grey? I really like it. Any help much appreciated.

Cookie said...

Or is it a different grout on the floor to the wall tiles?

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Thank you, Hannah. We used Manhattan by Mapei, a greige colour that hides discolouring over time perfectly!

Cookie said...

Thank you. Sorry one more question - are the tiles white or an off-white/cream? thank you again!

Unknown said...

I love these tiny marble hexagonal tiles! Does that sort of design have a name? I know that if it's round it's penny tile (at least in the US), so I'd love to be able to go to a store and ask for this style straight out. And I agree that the slight variations in color from tile to tile are just beautiful! Hopefully, I'll be able to find tiles like this a little more easily than you did because I desperately want to do our bathroom like this now. http://www.qualityfloorcov.com/services

Maria Anna Ramirez said...

The small pieces of that hexagonal pieces look so elegant radiating that spa extravagant vibe. No wonder you've fallen for such quite intricacies, for the execution looks so tiring to make but somehow feels rewarding upon seeing the end product. Would definitely buy this kind of floor tiles for our comfort rooms.

Safeall said...

Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.
Safeall Video Door Phone Installation

donnaj edwards said...

This is a really informative knowledge, Thanks for posting this informative Information. Regrout Bathroom

Rk Marbles Usa said...

good information

Rk Marbles Usa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MOMOTOM said...

Use a hammer to pressure 3 1-1/2-in. Nails into every Hardwood at lightly spaced intervals. Check the plank for a degree after every nail is driven, after which use a degree to ensure the plank is straight. Hardwood Flooring Nashville

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10